Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Workspace...

So I figured I would start this off with a few pics of my workspace (the Lair)
sorry some of the thumnails are crooked, click on em and they should show up right (I hope)

I just recently got off my tail and reorganized it, I wanted to get some new paints but was outta space.

This is what it looked like before the reorganization.
Photobucket

During the reorganization, At this point I was really thinking this was a bad idea...
Photobucket

I went out and bought a bunch of mid-size containers made for tackle boxes. I proceeded to cut 90% of the models off the sprues and put them in tose boxes. I was amazed at how much space this alone saved.

I had been using a rack for my paints that was originally a rack for spools of thread. I look around town for a couple weeks without finding anything else I liked the look of, or that would work for what I needed. SO I decided to make me some shelves to hold my paint.

Finally finished and staring with a fresh slate
Photobucket

A rough start to see what kind of real estate the racks would take up
Photobucket

Framed out, this was actually the second frame I built. The first was made out of basswood, and was to flimsy for my tastes. So I went to the Home Depot and bought popular wood to use for my shelving.
Photobucket

First built shelf. The holes in the side were made so I could see the paint that was right up against the edge. To bad they are to high, should have been made about a half inch lower, oh well.
Photobucket

Finshed painted, and with paint on it
Photobucket

At this point I was getting in a groove so did not take anymore in progress shots. So here is the final result
Photobucket

The white background was a happy accident. I needed a back for the shelves and went to get black foamboard to cut to fit. All the store had was white, and since I was ready to be finished I bought it. I actually think the white turned out better than the black ever would. The OTT light I got for half off, and it sits on the bottom half of a lazy susan, so it rotates out for use and then back for storage. I did lose quite a bit a real estate with the new shelves, but it at least doubled my shelf space. So not a bad trade off.

Oh and this is the best part, I have been using wardobes and computer armoires for years for my workspace. The main reason is this
Photobucket

It closes, and I don't even have to clean up my mess. If you have little ones about you could also toss a latch/lock on it to keep the little ones out of trouble.

So thats my workspace, next up the closet of lost hope...

later ogre