Wednesday, February 24, 2010

ogre's Guide to Biggie Sized Dreadnoughts

Hello,

While putting my Deathwing together I began to put together my Dreads. While I was doing this I decided I wanted my Dreads to stand out a little more from the plastic terminators. So this is what I came up with.

Supplies:
1 Plastic Dreadnought (kinda a given since we are building a Dread)
greenstuff (possibly skipable, but I don't know how well it will hold up without)
and a selection on washers and brass fittings
1/2 inch split cable tubing (This I found at Radio Shack, but I am sure a decent hardware store should have it also)

Photobucket
These are the washers and Fittings I used, they came from Home Depot so you should be able to match the numbers and get the same ones.

So after searching far and wide and gather your supplies, we come to the assembly. This is more of a kitbash than a hard-core conversion. So follow the instructions with these following exceptions.

Photobucket
Take a #8 washer and glue into the center of the foot, this was a bit easier on the Ironclad feet due to the way to detail is set up, it almost centers itself. Note I said almost, make sure this is a centered as possible.

Photobucket
I do this for all the washers, flip them over and fill them up with greenstuff. This serves two purposes. First is to give a bit more integrity to the fitting. Second is to actually give you something to glue.
This is a #6 for the ankles.

Photobucket
So glue the brass onto the washers in the feet. Then glue the legs on top of that. I normally put a bit of greenstuff and superglue to make the join a bit more solid.

Photobucket
Take the assembled sarcophagus and flip it over. Glue a 5/16" washer centered around the central pivot. It will overhang slightly in the back, I was not worried about this.

Photobucket
Take a greenstuff filled #12 and glue to the washer you glued down in the previous step.

You should have something similar to this at this point
Photobucket

Now sit this aside and let it dry completely, you would hate to ruin your hard work at this point.

Photobucket
While your main body is setting up, you can assemble the arms and added a greenstuff filled #10 to the arm centered around the hole for the peg.

Photobucket
When you are ready to continue, you need to shave down the arm peg to allow the fitting of another #8 washer.

If you would like to add the tubing to the arms you need the following steps

Photobucket
Carefully cut two full ridges off the split tubing. you need to cut where the knife shows in the image.

you should end up with something like this.
Photobucket

Now glue it to the arm, starting with the sarcophagus. Place the thin edge towards the sarcophagus and the outer large ridge will connect directly with the arm. Making sure the split in the cable faces directly down. I used greenstuff and superglue to connect the arm to the washer on the peg. This holds very well, if you let it sit up properly.
like this
Photobucket

Now the only problem with this is that the tubing does not quite fit. It does leave a gap underneath the arm. I did not have a problem with this so I used what I had on hand. You could try to find a better fitting tubing, or fill it with some greenstuff, its up to you.

I also take a spare marine banner and place it between the lower edge of the sarcophagus and the waist washer, if you lined it up right it should slip right in.
This is what you should end up with

Photobucket

Now for a few comparison shots.

Photobucket
Normal Dread and terminator

Photobucket
Biggie Dread and terminator

Photobucket
Normal Dread and Biggie Dread

Photobucket
All three together

Photobucket
Two Biggie dreads with Dark Angles Iconography and A Deathwing terminator.
(This was taken before I figured the tubing out, so if you chose not to use those steps this is what it would look like)

Well that was a long one, once you do one and get the hang of it, it goes much faster on any subsequent ones. Hope you found this a helpful. If you do any send me some pics, I would love to see what everyone else comes up with.

later ogre