I have spent the past few days working on some new bases for my ogres. I have been using some new stuff I found in my cabinet. A while back I ordered a basing kit from Skullcrafts. This kit included what he calls black texture paste. I am trying this material out instead of my usual concrete patch.
So far I like using this stuff. It is a lot easier to work with than the concrete patch. It leaves a similar texture, and is easier to spread and smooth out. I did find one minor quibble with my first batch I did. I found that I did not spread the paste as evenly as I would have liked. I ended up with this.
Very patchy, If I remember correctly it did not look that bad when i put it on. So I need to go back and fill in some of the more glaring gaps. I did some figuring and decided the problem was that I was spreading a black paste on a black base.(brilliant deduction I know)
So I very lightly primed the bases with white primer(Duplicolor FTW).
Doing this made spreading the second batch much easier.
But know I am out of paste, I am waiting on my order to come in from Skullcrafts, I also ordered some static grass from them. They have a better selection of colors then I can normally find around town.