Monday, July 30, 2012

Revisiting my Necrons for 6th...

Hello,

So Necrons were my first ever fully painted army for 40K. These were painted back when the Plastics were first released, so around 2002.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

So I finished them up and looked at the next week and said damn, I painted them up in the colors of Mardi Gras...

So anyways I had fun playing them but got bored with them after a while. So I moved on to Fantasy and have not played 40K regularly since.

Then 6th got release and got my hobby mojo on the upswing again. I picked up the new Necron codex when it was released and realized that it solved my problems with the necron army. Not that the army had any major problems that I remember, it was that with the old book the army had no character. Sure, they had HQ choices and the C'Tan. But, the army was basically metal space skeletons.

The newest book adds so my background and character to the list that it made me want to pull out my old list and update it. 6th edition was just the excuse that I needed to do it.

So I dug out my old models and put them in my trusty old pot for reclamation and repair (stripping ;)) Just need some simple green, which I forgot to pick up again...
Photobucket

While browsing around the net a few months ago I came across this thread on the Privateer Press forums
Rhulic Theme - Opinions Wanted - Zreef paints the stunties
Which had a tutorial for a really slick looking Ice base. Which I want to try, I just needed a army to do it with. Enter the GW Village Center painting league. Basically you paint a predetermined FOC slot and paint it up in 2 weeks. So first up is a HQ choice, so I went in a grabbed this
Photobucket

I also picked up some of Secret Weapons Miniatures hollow resin base blanks. Which using Zreef's tutorial I came up with this
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Pretty damn slick if you ask me.

I also tried out a few color test on some spare models and the bottom of a command barge
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

This is also the first time I have messed around with finecast, Not my favorite thing in the world, not horribly bad, but i preferred the metal. Especially since during cleaning I snapped on in half
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

So what I ended up with is this
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Nothing to special just a basic arm swap with the Lychguard plastic kit and the Stormlord model.

I still need to finish the other one and the command barge, which are sitting on my desk waiting to be finished, I had to build two of the exact same HQ choice due to the base, it would have looked funny on the barge. So, I built a mounted version and a foot version, purely for aesthetic reasons.

Well I think I have rambled on long enough for now.

Later